For months, I have been trying to get my son to understand the importance of being proactive. Last night I think he started to take it to heart. His homework for the week is sent home every Monday (which is priceless to me because I'm a planner). His homework Wednesday was to read and report on his favorite book and my son waited until the last minute. He read the book earlier this week which he assumed bought him extra playtime...needless to say at 10:30pm last night we were still working on his report. He was persistent and so was I. He finally finished about 11:15pm at which time I explained that he would still be expected to get up early and get ready for school on time.
Dragging myself out of bed this morning about 20 minutes behind schedule, I awoke to a child already dressed and working on his report. He told me that a good grade was important to him. I've lectured him for several months about always exceeding expectations, but I never really thought he was listening...I was soo wrong!! He definitely exceeded my expectations!
This afternoon, while helping him with his homework, he looked me in the eyes and apologized. He said, "Mom, I'm sorry for being so difficult and acting like I couldn't do my homework yesterday and making you stay up so late at night. I love you and I'm sorry for making you upset." Almost moved to tears, I accepted his apology and explained that we all have "lazy" days, but we shouldn't practice it. And to show how sincere he was we revised his book report...together!
No comments:
Post a Comment